With spring officially here and rain showers in the forecast, it is important to remember that your chimney has endured another harsh and, dare we say it, very long winter season. The fluctuating temperatures, freezing and thawing, and the wind and rain have a significant impact on your chimney. This true Wisconsin weather causes cracks, chips, and loosening of the bricks and mortar of your chimney, which results in leaks and damage.
There are many reasons damage to your chimney occurs. Here are a couple of things to be aware of:
- There is no chimney cover, resulting in rain or snow coming straight in
- Cracked chimney crown
- Freeze-thaw damage
- Leaking from the inside out due to condensation
- Torn or cracked fireplace flashing
- A leak that starts at a different point, such as the roof
Though that may sound like a lot, these things are easily preventable with maintenance and vigilance:
- Purchase a chimney cover and have it installed by a professional
- Have a chimney liner installed to prevent condensation inside the chimney
- You can have a masonry absorption test done to find out if your chimney is leaking through the bricks to determine if you need to waterproof your chimney
Use specialty sealing products, such as FlashSeal to seal your flashing or ChimneySaver to repel the water off your masonry. If it has been a while (or you have never thought about or maintained your chimney before), contact Quality Fireplace & Chimney Service and we can inspect and recommend ways to keep your home dry!
Give us a call at (262) 786-4411 to schedule your appointment today!