As warm weather becomes more than a distant dream, most people like to welcome it with a good Spring Cleaning to rid their homes of the grit and grime built up over a long winter. One area of the house that may get overlooked is the chimney, but after months of toasty fires, the chimney is in need of a good sweep most of all. For many reasons the chimney should not be ignored, both for health, safety, and aesthetic reasons. Below we outline a few reasons to schedule a Chimney Cleaning for Spring.
- Health & Safety – The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) claims that for the health and wellness of you and your family, it is imperative to clean your chimney once a year. It makes much more sense to clean it out after a long season of use rather than let the ash and debris continue to build up for months undisturbed.
- Cleanliness – When the first signs of Spring begin to bloom, most people want a fresh start inside their home to match the environment outside of it. A good scrub is necessary in every nook and cranny of your living space, the fireplace should not be left out. We’re not just talking about the inside either! The outer surface, whether it’s brick, wood, or stone, can suffer from soot and ash build up creating a dirty veneer. Not to mention the smell! With a good sweeping, the centerpiece of any room can shine like new again.
- Reduce Creosote – Creosote is a chemical emitted when wood burns. It is a colorless to yellowish greasy liquid with a smoky odor that can build up on the liner of your fireplace and chimney. Corrosion caused by emissions like creosote can require extremely expensive repairs. This can happen when creosote is left on the flue liner for a long period of time and moisture gets in, from rain or snow. Better to have your chimney cleaned out immediately than risk costly repairs down the line.
- Chimney Safety – If the creosote, described above, is left for too long it can cause a Chimney Fire. These fires can range from barely noticeable to so loud it shakes your whole house. Very small fire incidents may occur and go unnoticed, however, the heat generated from fires can cause cracks and loosen mortar joints which can provide an easy path to the roof or other combustible materials. If left untreated, the chances of a house fire increase significantly. These cracks and loosened joints also make it possible for carbon monoxide to leak into your home, the effects of which can cause significant health impacts up to and including a potential death. The easiest and most cost-efficient way to prevent chimney fires is with a chimney inspection and cleaning. Something so simple may save your life.
- Easier to Schedule – Many home owners that have a chimney in their home believe the best time to schedule their chimney for a cleaning is in the fall, just before the winter winds blow through but truly NOW is a great time to have your chimney inspected and cleaned. You can choose the best day according to your own schedule and won’t have to jockey for the best time slot.
If you’re ready to get a head start on Spring Cleaning this year, call Quality Fireplace at 262-786-4411 to schedule an appointment today!